Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Living with Rheumatoid Arthritis

In July of 2008, I woke up with a horrific rash all over the bottoms of my legs. Itchy and extremely painful. I thought that I had a SERIOUSLY bad poison ivy. It wasn't going away so I decided to go to the Dr. thinking that it was something more serious. 
   The Dr is asking me if I have pain or swelling in my ankles. I was working at Olive Garden, 9+ hrs a day. Of course they were sore! She told me she wanted to get some blood work, that she was checking for Rheumatoid Arthritis... WHAT!?! I'm only 26!  LOL OOO K. I started to think this lady was crazy.. until I got the worse phone call of my LIFE! She said you DO have RA, and your levels are too high. So SED Rate is the measurement of the swelling in your body. Normal levels are 0-50, and mine was 97!! WHHHATTT!!? Within 2 days I was at a Rheumatologist. They did some more tests and MRI's on my legs and feet, hands and wrists to make sure there wasn't damage yet. (they were and still are ok). I have a seriously bad allergy to latex, andI make sure my Dr.s hold onto sticking to it. He prescribed me Humira. Which is a biologic to keep my joints from progressing further. After about 2 shots I started to notice that the injection spot was getting a knot under it and bruising really bad, and I was struggling to breath!! OMG what is happening?? I was also on a huge amount of Prednisone, and that God that I was. I was going into anaphylaxic shock! Thankfully I stopped taking the meds and NEVER seen that A-HOLE again!! Mind you I was still taking the Prednisone. But that whole entire year after my diagnosis I was 90% immobile. I couldn't walk up 2 steps, get in and out of bed or even lift my arms to wash my hair. I was depressed horribly spent most of my days on the couch or in bed. I know that there are people who have it so much worse than me, but I can't deny that I am in pain, or don't get depressed that I will never get better.
    In Aug of 2009, I met my new RA Dr. Best decision of my life. She has definately put me on some things that don't work, but we have found some that do! In Nov 2012 I had my first son (after being told I couldn't or shouldn't) I had a simple, easy, and PAIN FREE pregnancy. I did flare up again weeks to the day after birth, but we got it in check and for next 16 months was a breeze! I was on a biologic, 2 chemo's and a preventive for RA. 
      In Feb of 2013 I felt amazing and decided to take myself of my drugs to see how I would feel!! STILL GREAT. In March, I broke my tibia and fibula that spiraled down and broke into my ankle too (2 times in a year my ankle broke LOL). So they decided in needed surgery to fix the break it was THAT BAD.. ugh :( Mind you my son is just over a year old.. wth am I supposed to do? So they decided that in surgery they put a metal rod and 4 screws in my leg.. GREAT! (see pics below). I was a complete bone head and didn't even wait the 12 weeks and started walking on it after 4 :/ But I have 3 kids, I was losing my mind not being able to do anything. My toddler was taking my crutches to the other side of the room, stealing my phone and hiding it... ugh..
    Six months off of all my medicine, we are now currently "not trying" for a baby lol. I've been getting small flare ups that am trying to handle. It'll all be worth the pain in the end. 
    I would love to hear your stories if you have an invisible disease or even visible! Use the comment section below or email me: her3littlethinkers@gmail.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment